Comfort, confidence, and health: The right bra can help improve all three. Wearing the right bra is even more important if you have larger breasts. Without the right support, you could develop some uncomfortable side effects over time, such as poor posture. A bra that offers the right support and that fits comfortably and snugly without digging in helps take the burden off your back. The result: You look better, you feel better, and your posture is better. Mission accomplished!
- While this may come as a surprise, the back band is responsible for the majority of a bra's support – up to 80% in fact. For women with a larger cup size, it’s even more important to find a sturdy band that sits parallel to the floor. If it rides up, you may need to size down. If it digs in, you may need to size up.
Tip: Fasten your bra on the middle hook and see if you can fit three fingers under the clasp. If you can and if the band stays parallel to the floor, you've found the right band size! An easy way to check whether the band fits snugly is to lift your arms above your head. If your bra stays put, your band is tight enough. If it rides up, your band is too loose.
- The underwire should lie flat against your chest, without digging in. If it bounces back when you press on it, the cups are probably too small. The underwire should also encircle the breasts completely. Any poking or pinching is definitely a no-go.
- The strip of fabric that connects the cups is called the centre gore. For a perfect fit, the centre gore should lie flat against the chest. If it doesn’t and if the underwire lifts away from the body, either size up or try a different bra style that better suits the shape of your breasts.
- The fit of the cups determines the comfort and look of your bra. To find out if you're wearing the right cup size, check to see whether your entire breasts are inside the cups. If there’s any spillage on the top or the sides, try a larger cup size with the same band size. If the cups are gaping or wrinkling, try a smaller cup size or a different bra style.
Make sure the fabric on the cups offers the right support. Fabric with a lot of stretch doesn’t offer enough support with frequent wear. All PrimaDonna bras have sturdy lining or integrated padding in the cups to lift and centre the breasts and to create a lovely, rounded shape.
- Think tightening your bra straps will help lift your breasts? Think again! Straps that pinch or dig in are extremely uncomfortable and can even cause pain or poor posture in the long run. PrimaDonna’s bra straps are made from ultra-soft materials. Did you know that bra straps only account for about 10% of your support? The back band and the centre gore do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to support.
Tip: Adjust the straps until you can fit two fingers between the strap and your shoulder.
- The final and most important check: How does your bra feel? Even if you’ve found the perfect size, how a bra feels is the most important test. You may feel more comfortable in a bra with more coverage or in a more revealing style made from lighter materials. Trying on lingerie is kind of like trying on shoes: The right size is important, but so is the fit, the material, and the overall look!
At Lingerie République we strive to support you - because your cup size should not keep you from wearing whatever lingerie style you want. If you think your size may have changed, stop by Lingerie République for advice. Our fittings are important, honest and are an essential part to finding the perfect fit and feeling confident. Our size range is impressive! For customers who are unable to visit us in store, we can expertly guide you in finding the perfect fit through our virtual bra fitting system.